This sweet potato tray bake is simple and wholesome with vibrant vegetables and a boldly flavorful sesame ginger sauce. It’s a tasty back to school dinner that’s easy to prepare and quick to clean up. Naturally vegan and gluten free!
HOW TO MAKE SWEET POTATO AND BROCCOLI TRAY BAKE
- Preheat oven to 425 F (220 C / gas mark 7). Line a rimmed baking tray with parchment paper.
- Make the sauce-Whisk, in a small mixing bowl, all the ingredients for the Sesame Ginger Sauce. The tahini will look separated and curdled to start with but will blend into a smooth sauce as you mix.
- Prepare the vegetables- Peel and dice the sweet potatoes into ½” cubes. (so they cook at the same rate as the broccoli and peppers) Thinly slice your pepper and cut the broccoli into manageable bite size pieces.
- Toss the vegetables- in a large mixing bowl with the sesame ginger sauce. See that all the veggies are well coated.
- Spread the vegetables- on your baking tray with the yams settled at the bottom.
- Bake- for 30 minutes. Check to see if the sweet potatoes are fork tender. Slide the tray back into the oven for 5 more minutes if needed.
- Serve- Sprinkle sesame seeds over the top and serve with your favorite rice.
Note: The Sesame Ginger Sauce makes a quick and flavorful marinade for tofu or tempeh.
(Check back in here regularly for new Flax Butter recipes and ideas!)
INGREDIENTS FOR THE SESAME GINGER SAUCE
Makes 4 servings
- ¼ cup (2 oz.) of coconut aminos
- 1 tablespoon of tamari
- 1 tablespoon of pure sesame paste
- 1 tablespoon of O3 Superfoods flax seed butter
- 1 tablespoon of rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon of sesame seeds (plus more for sprinkling)
- 1 teaspoon of ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder (or granules)
- ¼ teaspoon of sriracha (more for spicy)
INGREDIENTS FOR VEGETABLES
- 4 cups (600 g) orange-fleshed sweet potatoes (about 2 medium) peeled and diced into ½” cubes
- 1 small red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch of broccoli or broccolini, sliced